[NatureNS] birds and Eastern Cougar

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 17:23:19 -0400

Good Day All:
The last time the cougar thread was on NatureNS, I was almost tempted to
write about my experience, but remained silent. This time I will.  My
sighting was at least six or more years ago, and at that time I didn't
realize that cougars could be black in colour, but now know they can.

I have seen cougars. I am certain. The first I told DNR about  and was
assured no way. The first was in the fire road at Granite Village. We were
looking for spring plants/blooms and one ran across the road in front of our
truck. Steve did not see it as he was looking at something else.  It was
chasing something and disappeared very quickly into the bush. Second one was
just on the Liverpool side of Five Rivers Bridge crossing the #3 in White
Point. It was dusk and crossed the pavement in two bounds. I braked the car,
although I doubt I would have hit it. Had I camera I doubt I could have
gotten a photo, even were I ready to click. Both animals were on the dark
side but in that light things would appear darker than in the daylight full.
I have seen cougars in parks and know that is what is here.
Yesterday, traveling with a huge flock of Starlings, were a number of Red
Winged Blackbirds, juvenile males as well as a female or two.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca