[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:48:41 -0400
From: "David McCorquodale" <David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

        newspapers, etc. We know their criteria for reporting; "If it blee
The Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources apparently puts a lot of
effort into checking out cougar reports.  Here is a link to an article
by Mark Paulsifer, a NSDNR biologist, written 19 years ago.
(http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/eastern-co).

It details how he responded to sightings and gives a couple of examples.
It is clear that despite extraordinary efforts there is little or no
concrete evidence of cougars in Nova Scotia.  As others have said, it is
not that people are starting out saying they do not exist, they are
saying that a lot of effort has been put in to finding concrete evidence
and it is very limited.  This was written 19 years ago, and the
situation appears to be similar today.

Fred Scott, a knowledgeable and careful naturalist, compiled evidence
about the Eastern Cougar for a status assessment of the species for the
Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada.  The citation
for Fred's report is:
Scott, Fred. 1998. COSEWIC status report on cougar, eastern population,
_Puma concolor couguar_. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife
in Canada, Ottawa.  I tried, but was unsuccessful at, finding a copy
online this afternoon.

However there is a summary of his report in the recent Hinterland Who's
Who on cougar for Canada (http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=87):
"Originally designated "endangered" in 1978 by the Committee on the
Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, since 1998 the [eastern
population] cougar has been designated as "data deficient." This status
was assigned because of the lack of genetic evidence to show that the
eastern race was distinct; the lack of recent physical evidence to show
that cougars still occur in eastern Canada; and some information
suggesting that cougar sightings may be explained by escaped captive
animals. There is, therefore, insufficient information to assign a
status to this animal."

I do not see any group saying they do not exist, just that there is
virtually no evidence to support a wild population of cougar in Nova
Scotia.  A key phrase in the paragraph above is that escaped captive
animals could account for some of the sightings.

David McCorquodale