[NatureNS] Bohemian Waxwings & Multiflora Rose

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:54:33 -0400

Dear All,                    Feb 22, 2011
    A flock of >50 birds sailed through the yard this morning and to judge
from the ~15 that settled into a nearby Multiflora Rose they were mostly (or
all) Bohemian Waxwings.

    Up to 1961 (Tufts 1961) there had been only 8 records in NS, all in
Halifax or Pictou counties, and the bird was considered very rare.

    There are many more qualified observers now, and this alone would
account for more sightings, but I wonder if BW have not become considerably
more common here than previously.

    Also during the last 5 decades, at least in the Valley, Multiflora Rose
has become more widespread as a plant of open vacant ground (not tilled,
grazed or mowed). So I wonder if there is a connection or if a connection is
common knowledge.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville