[NatureNS] Gypsum Ragwort..

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:26:11 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 2/23/2011 3:19 PM, Heather Drope wrote:
> /Hello David and all, sorry I didn't send the Latin species name but it
> was a great exercise to find my wild flora books and look everything up.
> This little plant loves gypsum and is quite lovey to see on the raw rock
> growing out of any little hollow filled with debris./
>
> /Gypsum Ragwort/. Senecio pauperculus Michx. (/gypsum ragwort/) *...*

* also Balsam Ragwort, Balsam Groundsel, or (as new to me as Gypsum
Ragwort) Canadian Butterweed. This is the iconic flower of the Smiths
Falls Limestone Plain in eastern Ontario, gilding the barren glades
between the clumps of Cedars in the spring.

Oh, to be the Balsam Ragwort
Brilliant on the Limestone Plain,
Oh, to be the golden emblem
of that cedary terrain!