[NatureNS] MInks & Weasels

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:19:34 -0400 (AST)
From: bdigout@seaside.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

>A wild mink is generally dark brown, but many ranch mink have have been
bred over the years for their black coats.  In this area (Rich. Co.) 99%
of our mink are still in their  natural brown colour, usually with a bit
of white under their throats or bellies.  In South-western Nova Scotia,
there are so many mink ranches that over the years, the many escaped
ranch mink are breeding with wild mink and these black coated fellows
seem to becoming the norm.   That is the main reason why the length of
the mink-trapping season has been extended;  to try to catch more of
these feral mink.  These are usually easier to catch and the pressure is
somewhat taken off our wild mink.
Billy
 Interesting - most of the mink I saw around Bear River when I was growing