[NatureNS] Crow Roost in west end Halifax

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:46:35 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1832687==.ALT

         Last night just at twilight I was heading towards the
Fairview Overpass, out of Halifax, when I noticed a large flock of
crows in the trees beyond CFB Windsor Park.  My brother was driving
and taking a route different from what I usually take, so I had the
opportunity to look.  There appeared to be several hundred
crows.  This evening I went back on my own again at about 8:00 p.m.,
and counted nearly 300 crows in the backyard trees between Windsor
Street and Kempt Road, near Hood Avenue, with more still flying
in.  Have they always been here or Is this a new roost?  Perhaps
another example of the displacement of the Mount Saint Vincent roost ?

         I didn't comment on this question earlier, but often during
the winter I noticed how agitated the crows were at Mount Saint
Vincent.  I would usually be driving by at about 10:00 p.m. and there
would be hundreds taking brief flights and fluttering around in the
trees beside the Bedford Highway.

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

>Date:   Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:51:53 -0800 (PST)
>From:   Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
>Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Crow roost in fairview
>To:     naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>
>I wasn't at the Mount on Sunday, so I don't know if anything
>happened to cause them to move. I didn't see any evidence of
>predated crows on campus the next day, although there are many areas
>where a kill could have occurred without my seeing the remains. The
>roost sometimes moves around up or down the street from the
>university, but it's always been within hearing distance whenever
>I've been on campus in the evening.
>
> From what I've been told, the main roost also seems to move around
> the campus to some degree over the course of a night, but I'm not
> on campus late enough to watch what's going on there.
>
>I have seen large flocks (~500) moving around for no apparent reason
>after the main roost has settled down. For example, on Thursday,
>such a flock headed NW away from campus at 6:45 in silence, except
>for the sounds of their wings (which was really neat to see/hear!).
>
>Kathleen MacAulay
>Milford Station

--=====================_1832687==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Last night
just at twilight I was heading towards the Fairview Overpass, out of
Halifax, when I noticed a large flock of crows in the trees beyond CFB
Windsor Park.&nbsp; My brother was driving and taking a route different
from what I usually take, so I had the opportunity to look.&nbsp; There
appeared to be several hundred crows.&nbsp; This evening I went back on
my own again at about 8:00 p.m., and counted nearly 300 crows in the
backyard trees between Windsor Street and Kempt Road, near Hood Avenue,
with more still flying in.&nbsp; Have they always been here or Is this a
new roost?&nbsp; Perhaps another example of the displacement of the Mount
Saint Vincent roost ?<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I didn't
comment on this question earlier, but often during the winter I noticed
how agitated the crows were at Mount Saint Vincent.&nbsp; I would usually
be driving by at about 10:00 p.m. and there would be hundreds taking
brief flights and fluttering around in the trees beside the Bedford
Highway.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br><br>
2011 10:51:53 -0800 (PST)<br>
I wasn't at the Mount on Sunday, so I don't know if anything happened to
cause them to move. I didn't see any evidence of predated crows on campus
the next day, although there are many areas where a kill could have
occurred without my seeing the remains. The roost sometimes moves around
up or down the street from the university, but it's always been within
hearing distance whenever I've been on campus in the evening. <br><br>
 From what I've been told, the main roost also seems to move around the
campus to some degree over the course of a night, but I'm not on campus
late enough to watch what's going on there. <br><br>
I have seen large flocks (~500) moving around for no apparent reason
after the main roost has settled down. For example, on Thursday, such a
flock headed NW away from campus at 6:45 in silence, except for the
sounds of their wings (which was really neat to see/hear!).<br><br>
Kathleen MacAulay<br>
Milford Station<br><br>
&lt;iamclar@dal.ca&gt;<br>
All:<br><br>
An acquaintance phone to say that last night a huge flock (he thought at
least 1,000) of noisy crows was rossting in trees in Fairview, away from
their usual nught roost behind Mt. St. Vincent U. They were there to at
least 1 a.m. Anyone else note this? A termporary displacement because of
predation?<br><br>
Ian<br><br>
Ian McLaren<br><br>