[NatureNS] Eastern Kingbird, other birds, leps and insects.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:36:56 +0000

--_0533a906-f3b5-4e00-9a47-a039163a1903_

In light of the ridicule by some about the impossibility of an Eastern king=
bird being seen here during this time of the year.  I am convinced that the=
 reportees in Chester actually saw this bird.  I visiited the property toda=
y and spoke to them in more detail about their sighting.  The lady first he=
ard a call from the top of a tree that she did not recognize.  Both the man=
 and his wife describe what can only be an eastern kingbird and when I play=
ed the call of the eastern kingbird it matched what she heard.  The habitat=
 in which the bird was sighted is dead on for where we would expect it to b=
e.  There is a lake in behind and a man made brook on one side of the prope=
rty with a nicely running brook and pool on the other side of the house.  T=
he house is down in a dip back off of the road with an orchard like yard.  =
There is a huge tree with  thickly twining woody vines coming down off it=
=2C a couple of pear trees=2C a butterfly bush and loads of shrubs and over=
all mostly trees like you would see in an orchard.  Most of the trees in th=
e area are deciduous and there is an actual apple orchard nearby.  An easte=
rn kingbird paradise.  The sun shining down into the yard at Chester today =
brought out a hornet and I photographed a mourning cloak for the Butterfly =
atlas.  Elsewhere I also had house flies today and another possibly butterf=
ly.  The other lep was at Oakland and was orange in color and small.  It mi=
ght have been either a butterfy or the moth that I had early last year.  I'=
m not sure as it did not settle long enough for me to get a good look at it=
.  It is most likely that it was the same early orange moth that I had last=
 year. =20
=20
The American Kestrel was at Lilydale again today.  At Chester we had a shar=
p-shinned hawk. =20
=20
I had a report of a mourning dove collecting nesting material.  The eagle i=
s sitting tight on the nest in Dayspring by the NS Light and Power Plant cl=
ose to Bridgewater. =20
=20
At First South there were still 92 great scaup and 8 lesser scaup today.  T=
here were about 45 red-breasted mergansers there.  Lots of bufflehead were =
all over. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport  		 	   		  =

--_0533a906-f3b5-4e00-9a47-a039163a1903_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
In light of the ridicule by some about the impossibility of an Eastern king=
bird being seen here during this time of the year.&nbsp=3B I am convinced t=
hat the reportees in Chester actually saw this bird.&nbsp=3B I visiited the=
 property today and spoke to them in more detail about their sighting.&nbsp=
=3B The lady first heard a call from the top of a tree that she did not rec=
ognize.&nbsp=3B Both the man and his wife describe what can only be an east=
ern kingbird and when I played the call of the eastern kingbird&nbsp=3Bit m=
atched what&nbsp=3Bshe heard.&nbsp=3B The habitat in which the bird was sig=
hted is dead on for where we would expect it to be.&nbsp=3B There is a lake=
 in behind and a man made brook on one side of the property with a nicely r=
unning brook and pool on the other side of the house.&nbsp=3B The house is =
down in a dip back off of the road with an orchard like yard.&nbsp=3B There=
&nbsp=3Bis a huge tree with &nbsp=3Bthickly twining woody vines coming down=
 off it=2C a couple of pear trees=2C a butterfly bush and loads of shrubs a=
nd overall mostly trees like you would see in an orchard.&nbsp=3B Most of t=
he trees in the area are deciduous and there is an actual apple orchard nea=
rby.&nbsp=3B An eastern kingbird paradise.&nbsp=3B The sun shining down int=
o the yard at Chester today brought out a hornet and I photographed a mourn=
ing cloak for the Butterfly atlas.&nbsp=3B Elsewhere I also had house flies=
 today and another possibly butterfly.&nbsp=3B The other lep was at Oakland=
 and was orange in color and small.&nbsp=3B It might have been either a but=
terfy or the moth that I had early last year.&nbsp=3B I'm not sure as it di=
d not settle long enough for me to get a good look at it.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BIt=
 is most likely that it was the same early orange moth that I had last year=
.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The American Kestrel was at Lilydale again today.&nbsp=3B At Chester we had=
 a sharp-shinned hawk.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I had a report of a mourning dove collecting nesting material.&nbsp=3B The =
eagle is sitting tight on the nest in Dayspring by the NS Light and Power P=
lant close to Bridgewater.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At First South there were still 92 great scaup and 8 lesser scaup today.&nb=
sp=3B There were about 45 red-breasted mergansers there.&nbsp=3B Lots of bu=
fflehead were all over.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_0533a906-f3b5-4e00-9a47-a039163a1903_--