[NatureNS] No frogs, no owls

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 13:28:58 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00032555a816114b0004a07ed8d7

Hi,

This time last year I too found no owls on my owl route (Falmouth up the
logging roads to Benjamins Bridge) but when we repeated it some 3 weeks
later we had 9 altogether. I'm not sure what that means but it might be
worth your waiting a bit. This morning Liz and I drove the route to see if
the road was passable, and to see if there were any daytime birds around.
Yes to both, but when we tried to continue on to Butler Road a bridge was
washed out and we had to turn around and retrace our steps. The most
noteworthy bird we saw was my 1st Am. kestrel of the year. I plan to do my
owl survey in a week or 2.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--00032555a816114b0004a07ed8d7

Hi,<br><br>This time last year I too found no owls on my owl route (Falmout=
h up the logging roads to Benjamins Bridge) but when we repeated it some 3 =
weeks later we had 9 altogether. I&#39;m not sure what that means but it mi=
ght be worth your waiting a bit. This morning Liz and I drove the route to =
see if the road was passable, and to see if there were any daytime birds ar=
ound. Yes to both, but when we tried to continue on to Butler Road a bridge=
 was washed out and we had to turn around and retrace our steps. The most n=
oteworthy bird we saw was my 1st Am. kestrel of the year. I plan to do my o=
wl survey in a week or 2.<br>

AM, Randy Lauff <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.c=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex;">

All,<br>
What a perfect night for an owl survey last night. Too cold for frogs,<br>
no wind, clear skies. Reasonable roads with no traffic.<br>
This was the route that three (?) years ago I had one or two Barred<br>
Owls on each of nine stops (of ten), among other owls. Last night, I<br>
didn&#39;t hear or see a single bird! However, my friend Martha heard<br>
three off in the distance, two unknown, one NSWO.<br>
There has been no significant forestry work on my route during the<br>
last many years.<br>
We did have one Woodcock at the first stop, like normal.<br>
Randy<br>
RF Lauff<br>
Way in the boonies of<br>
Antigonish County, NS.<br>