[NatureNS] Re: Starling Imitations

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:06:26 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_LCuBMUpV1DtalWNJQtyirg)

We have had a Starling doing a Comm. Loon imitation this spring!  A very
good imitation too, but, of course, without the volume.

Lois Codling
L. Sackville

On 14/04/2011 4:06 PM, James Churchill wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I am certainly not casting any doubt on the observation (although
> early, it sounds entirely plausible), but it just reminded me of an
> observation about two weeks ago, I forgot to report, of a _Starling
> _doing a fantastic _Eastern Wood-Pewee rendition_ on Main Street
> Kentville. Stopped me in my tracks while walking to work!!
> ("Woah...hold on here...")
>
> This adds to the ongoing list of _Starling mimicry_ I've heard in the
> last couple of years, which also includes _Alder Flycatcher_,
> _Northern Cardinal_ and _Killdeer_...
>
> Cheers,
> James.
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com
> <mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     This morning I bumped into Jean McKiel of Lunenburg.  Now she is a
>     person who knows her birds and she told me that she heard and saw
>     an Eastern Wood Pewee.  I questioned her and she said it was not a
>     phoebe.  This bird was by the Save Easy in Lunenburg.  Jean has
>     worked with penguins in New Zealand and has done other bird
>     related things and over the years when she reports something it is
>     accurate.  If she is unsure of a bird she lets me know.  I
>     happened to stop by the Save Easy for some groceries and sure
>     enough I heard the initial notes of an Eastern wood pewee twice.
>     It was raining hard and I could not locate the bird though.  There
>     was a killdeer calling by Cell Pack to.
>
>     James R. Hirtle
>     Bayport
>

> --
> James Churchill
> Kentville, Nova Scotia
> jameslchurchill@gmail.com <mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
> home: (902) 681-2374

--Boundary_(ID_LCuBMUpV1DtalWNJQtyirg)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    We have had a Starling doing a Comm. Loon imitation this spring!&nbsp; A
    very good imitation too, but, of course, without the volume.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
    L. Sackville<br>