[NatureNS] Re: Starling Imitations, plus female Cardinal

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:59:20 -0300
From: Bernard Burke <blburke@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>

      Easy for some groceries
I just had a brief, somewhat rare glimpse at my present residence here of a female Cardinal  at Red Bridge Pond Dartmouth. Being that there were Starlings in the same location at the edge of the parking lot, I almost ignored the Junco-like clicking sound that I was hearing as perhaps them being the culprits of the sound, as was discussed here as to their immitation capability. Speaking of immitators, I have learned to realize over the years that Blue Jays can also confound the best of us. I have heard them doing an excellant version of a hawk in the past, but moreso have heard them sounding exactly like an Osprey on more than one occasion. I recall hearing this on one occasion where I was obviously very close to the source, but could not see the supposed Osprey, and what was obvious to me was that I was close to some apartment buildings but the sound was more hollow.   The reason was the blue jay in question had been on someones partially walled in deck.
Cheers
Bernard Burke
Dartmouth