[NatureNS] forestry

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:25:21 -0300
CC: ccron72@hotmail.com, whitey@eastlink.ca

--Alt-Boundary-14498.36551953

The other day I was involved with the forestry rally and press conference.
There were so many groups represented from all walks of nature. Personally
I hate to see clear cut forests but after seeing the groups that were opposed
to it a light bulb went off in my head.
Addressing the waterways. Once we were up in a clear cut that was several
years old and the 'junk' trees were growing. This area had been hardwood
and now the foresters wanted softwood so the warning sign was posted with
the date that 'Vision' would be used to kill all deciduous trees. I knew that my
precious orchids next to a deep stream would be killed too.
Now I realize that down the food chain everything would die. If the plants
aren't there then the insects have nothing to eat and hence the fish have
nothing to eat. (This is the simplified version) Also I can imagine the pH of
the water changing which in turn would change the fishery (if there were any
left) and I expect it would affect the water table too as most of these clear
cuts that I see are on top of mountains and are the water shed for the
communities miles below them.
It is the indirect results that seem so very serious and worth fighting for.
It was suggested at this rally that we write to our counsellors and MLA's. Well
I think we should  speak to these future politicians who are running federal.
Most won't win but the losers may go on to work provincially which could help
us in the long term. If we speak often, write in to the paper often, go on talk
radio often, our voices will be heard. Politicians are employed by us. They
just need to be reminded !
Heather
Heather Drope
Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society
www.nswildflora.ca

--Alt-Boundary-14498.36551953

<title></title>
</head>
There were so many groups represented from all walks of nature. Personally
I hate to see clear cut forests but after seeing the groups that were opposed
years old and the 'junk' trees were growing. This area had been hardwood
and now the foresters wanted softwood so the warning sign was posted with
the date that 'Vision' would be used to kill all deciduous trees. I knew that my
aren't there then the insects have nothing to eat and hence the fish have
nothing to eat. (This is the simplified version) Also I can imagine the pH of
the water changing which in turn would change the fishery (if there were any
left) and I expect it would affect the water table too as most of these clear
cuts that I see are on top of mountains and are the water shed for the
I think we should&#160; speak to these future politicians who are running federal.