[NatureNS] forestry

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:43:41 -0300

--Apple-Mail-529-308590345

Hi folks,

See the Ecology Action Centre for more information:

=
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/54-groups-across-ns-call-better-forest=
ry-and-oppose-large-scale-biomass-electricity

Read the statement to the Premier signed by 54 groups from across Nova =20=

Scotia.

Write to Darrell Dexter <premier@gov.ns.ca> and Charlie Parker =
<min_dnr@gov.ns.ca=20
 >, the new Minister of Minister Natural Resources & Energy to urge =20
them to act immediately to fulfill their commitments and =20
responsibility to Nova Scotians to (a) reform forestry practices, (b) =20=

put the brakes on forest biomass electricity projects and (c) move =20
forward aggressively on our province=92s protected wilderness area =20
goals. Our forests in Nova Scotia depend on it.

All the best,

Chris

On 15-Apr-11, at 1:25 PM, Heather Drope wrote:

> The other day I was involved with the forestry rally and press =20
> conference. There were so many groups represented from all walks of =20=

> nature. Personally I hate to see clear cut forests but after seeing =20=

> the groups that were opposed to it a light bulb went off in my head.
> Addressing the waterways. Once we were up in a clear cut that was =20
> several years old and the 'junk' trees were growing. This area had =20
> been hardwood and now the foresters wanted softwood so the warning =20
> sign was posted with the date that 'Vision' would be used to kill =20
> all deciduous trees. I knew that my precious orchids next to a deep =20=

> stream would be killed too.
> Now I realize that down the food chain everything would die. If the =20=

> plants aren't there then the insects have nothing to eat and hence =20
> the fish have nothing to eat. (This is the simplified version) Also =20=

> I can imagine the pH of the water changing which in turn would =20
> change the fishery (if there were any left) and I expect it would =20
> affect the water table too as most of these clear cuts that I see =20
> are on top of mountains and are the water shed for the communities =20
> miles below them.
> It is the indirect results that seem so very serious and worth =20
> fighting for.
> It was suggested at this rally that we write to our counsellors and =20=

> MLA's. Well I think we should  speak to these future politicians who =20=

> are running federal. Most won't win but the losers may go on to work =20=

> provincially which could help us in the long term. If we speak =20
> often, write in to the paper often, go on talk radio often, our =20
> voices will be heard. Politicians are employed by us. They just need =20=

> to be reminded !
> Heather
> Heather Drope
> Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society
> www.nswildflora.ca

--Apple-Mail-529-308590345

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
href=3D"http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/54-groups-across-ns-call-bette=
r-forestry-and-oppose-large-scale-biomass-electricity">http://www.ecologya=
ction.ca/content/54-groups-across-ns-call-better-forestry-and-oppose-large=
statement to the Premier signed by 54 groups from across Nova =
href=3D"mailto:premier@gov.ns.ca">premier@gov.ns.ca</a>&gt; and Charlie =
Parker &lt;min_dnr@gov.ns.ca&gt;,=
 the new Minister of&nbsp;Minister Natural Resources &amp; =
Energy&nbsp;to urge them to act immediately to fulfill their commitments =
and responsibility to Nova Scotians to (a) reform forestry practices, =
(b) put the brakes on forest biomass electricity projects and (c) move =
forward aggressively on our province=92s protected wilderness area =
goals. Our forests in Nova Scotia depend on =
 15-Apr-11, at 1:25 PM, Heather Drope wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"> <div> =
font-size:12pt">The other day I was involved with the forestry rally and =
press conference. There were so many groups represented from all walks =
of nature. Personally I hate to see clear cut forests but after seeing =
the groups that were opposed to it a light bulb went off in my head. =
style=3D" font-size:12pt">Addressing the waterways. Once we were up in a =
clear cut that was several years old and the 'junk' trees were growing. =
This area had been hardwood and now the foresters wanted softwood so the =
warning sign was posted with the date that 'Vision' would be used to =
kill all deciduous trees. I knew that my precious orchids next to a deep =
 face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D" font-size:12pt">Now I realize that down =
the food chain everything would die. If the plants aren't there then the =
insects have nothing to eat and hence the fish have nothing to eat. =
(This is the simplified version) Also I can imagine the pH of the water =
changing which in turn would change the fishery (if there were any left) =
and I expect it would affect the water table too as most of these clear =
cuts that I see are on top of mountains and are the water shed for the =
align=3D"left"><font face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D" font-size:12pt">It =
is the indirect results that seem so very serious and worth fighting =
style=3D" font-size:12pt">It was suggested at this rally that we write =
to our counsellors and MLA's. Well I think we should&nbsp; speak to =
these future politicians who are running federal. Most won't win but the =
losers may go on to work provincially which could help us in the long =
term. If we speak often, write in to the paper often, go on talk radio =
often, our voices will be heard. Politicians are employed by us. They =
face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D" =
face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D" font-size:12pt">Heather =
style=3D" font-size:12pt">Nova Scotia Wild Flora =
 style=3D" font-size:12pt"><a =

--Apple-Mail-529-308590345--