[NatureNS] Dealing with politicians

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:23:51 -0300

Hi Doug & All,                Apr 15, 2011
    I will have to jump in here also.

    I think your approach is unsound for three reasons.

1) Free votes, in which a local MP can vote against party policy, are as
scarce as hen's teeth. The elected MP is just a vote token, his opinion has
no clout so why should it count during an election ?

2) And if your local candidate is loyal to party lines why should one
suppose that the party platform is not written on water ? Remember Halloween
2006 ? As in-- Conservative federal election platform Jan 31, 2006 "A
Conservative government will....Stop the Liberal attack on retirement
savings and preserve income trusts by not imposing any new taxes on them."
By Oct 31, 2006 Finance Minister Jim Flaherty had  realized that not
imposing new taxes on income trusts would be "...a very bad thing for
Canada." And speaking of trust, that is the key to chosing between parties;
who can you trust more than the rest ?

3)  We have a vote-counting process well suited for two and only two
parties. With 4.5 parties in the field, the elected party is almost certain
to not have a clear majority and therefore not be well enabled to reflect
majority opinion. This limitation can, in theory, be offset to some degree
if two or more opposition parties vote against something but, in practice,
the party with the largest war chest can ignore the vote and proceed as
though it never happened.

    Someday, somehow; proportion representation may come into being and,
failing that, the truth may eventually emerge that coalitions are legal,
sensible and desirable.

    Meanwhile, when something is as simple as ABC, why make it complicated ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville