[NS-RBA] RE: [NatureNS] Snowbirds & other spring birds

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:19:25 -0300

--_2e54d118-ff64-45d9-acd2-5ea1dc40ed16_

Hi All,
   The Snow Buntings I reported yesterday remain at my feeders today and ha=
ve cleaned off the seed almost as fast as I can put it out.=20
They seem to prefer my ground mix of corn, millet and COOP store mix over s=
unflower seeds.
   My partner drove to Cheticamp today with a friend who works in a local s=
tore and told me that there were hundreds of SOBU everywhere in Cheticamp a=
nd flying over the roads on the way over the mountains. Her friend reported=
 that there are flocks on this side as well and the large numbers of Snow B=
untings are the talk of the local population. The impression I got was that=
 there are many thousands of Snow Buntings all over northern Cape Breton at=
 the moment.
   Now SOBU are a common sight here in the spring but I've never heard of s=
uch huge numbers being reported before. Cheryl Davis reports below that the=
y are seeing the same thing in Labrador but that would appear to be a norma=
l migration pattern. Is this a normal occurrence in northern Cape Breton an=
d is there any history of this occurring here before? I haven't read of see=
n any mention of this year having a particularly large migration of Snow Bu=
ntings; in fact there have been few reports on naturens & NSRBA of SOBU obs=
ervations this year. Just curious.
 All the best.
                       Fritz McEvoy
                        Sunrise Valley, CB (near Dingwall)=20=20
=20
=20