[NatureNS] Whip poor will , peepers at my fen Angevine Lake

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:47:19 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

class=3DMsoNormal&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt
--00163642724981cbce04a1334e7e

hi folks,

I am no expert either. However, I do recall some very early and surprising
records for this species. I personally heard one near Aylesford Lake during
an owl survey April 24 2009. But not again at that location that season, or
since. And there are some early reports in Ontario of mid to late April.

Randy, you make a good point about the lack of aerial insects out there
right now. There is some indication that Eastern Whip-poor-wills are able to
undergo daily torpor (at least males; Lane et al. 2004), and maybe that is a
factor in how they could cut the unpredictable, hungry springs up here.
Recalling the recent naturens string re: bats hunting during the day this
time of year, I wonder if Whip-poor-wills also have some feeding-related
adaptations to cope with unpredictable food source this time of year.

cheers,
James.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--00163642724981cbce04a1334e7e

hi folks, <br><br>I am no expert either. However, I do recall some very ear=
ly and surprising records for this species. I personally heard one near Ayl=
esford Lake during an owl survey April 24 2009. But not again at that locat=
ion that season, or since. And there are some early reports in Ontario of m=
id to late April.<br>

 right now. There is some indication that Eastern Whip-poor-wills are able =
to undergo daily torpor (at least males; Lane et al. 2004), and maybe that =
is a factor in how they could cut the unpredictable, hungry springs up here=
. Recalling the recent naturens string re: bats hunting during the day this=
 time of year, I wonder if Whip-poor-wills also have some feeding-related a=
daptations to cope with unpredictable food source this time of year. <br>
Lauff <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
>I would have guessed that arriving now would be quite early for most aeria=
l insectivores...we&#39;re just getting in the first Tree Swallow reports, =
aren&#39;t we (I confess to not keeping up with all the sightings)? And Tre=
e Swallows can eat bayberry fruit (perhaps other stuff as well as air-borne=
 insects?).</div>

/nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm" target=3D"_blank">http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/=
nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm</a>) says the earliest record is of May 4th; I u=
nderstand that Tufts is outdated...but a 2.5 week advance of the earliest r=
ecord seems odd.</div>

that means it has been there last year as well, perhaps longer? It&#39;s a =
m sure that the tone of my email strikes folks as skeptical. On the one han=
d, the call of the Whip-poor-will is rather distinctive, but the bird&#39;s=
 rarity and normal date of arrival makes this Cumberland bird sighting out =
of line with what I know. And what I know of this species isn&#39;t much.</=
div>

 clear=3D"all">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the =
boonies of<br>

Antigonish County, NS.<div><br>
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marymacaulay@hotmail.com" target=3D"_=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid=
 rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

Was woken at 2:30 a.m. by our resident Whip poor will.=A0 Peepers also tuni=
ng up for the first time last night.<br>
Angevine Lake, Cumberland County<br> 		 	   		  </div>
ville, Nova Scotia<br><a hr