[NatureNS] Whip poor will , peepers at my fen Angevine Lake

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:27:16 -0300
From: Cindy Creighton <cindycreighton@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

ville, Nova Scotia&lt;br&gt;&lt;a hr
--bcaec547c9956b00a804a133ddd1

With regard to lack of aerial insects, I just wanted to mention that we were
out fishing about a week ago on the Southampton River (Cumberland County)
and there was a Mayfly hatch.

Cindy Creighton
Springhill, NS

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM, James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> [...]

> records for this species. I personally heard one near Aylesford Lake during
> an owl survey April 24 2009. But not again at that location that season, or
> since. And there are some early reports in Ontario of mid to late April.
>
> Randy, you make a good point about the lack of aerial insects out there
> right now. There is some indication that Eastern Whip-poor-wills are able to
> undergo daily torpor (at least males; Lane et al. 2004), and maybe that is a
> factor in how they could cut the unpredictable, hungry springs up here.
> Recalling the recent naturens string re: bats hunting during the day this
> time of year, I wonder if Whip-poor-wills also have some feeding-related
> adaptations to cope with unpredictable food source this time of year.
>
> cheers,
> James.
>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have never heard nor seen a Whip-poor-will.
>>
>> I would have guessed that arriving now would be quite early for most
>> aerial insectivores...we're just getting in the first Tree Swallow reports,
>> aren't we (I confess to not keeping up with all the sightings)? And Tree
>> Swallows can eat bayberry fruit (perhaps other stuff as well as air-borne
>> insects?).
>>
>> Tufts (on line http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm)
>> says the earliest record is of May 4th; I understand that Tufts is
>> outdated...but a 2.5 week advance of the earliest record seems odd.
>>
>> If the bird is described as resident, I'm assuming that means it has been
>> there last year as well, perhaps longer? It's a shame it's not documented on
>> the Atlas.
>>
>> I'm sure that the tone of my email strikes folks as skeptical. On the one
>> hand, the call of the Whip-poor-will is rather distinctive, but the bird's
>> rarity and normal date of arrival makes this Cumberland bird sighting out of
>> line with what I know. And what I know of this species isn't much.
>>
>> Any more details on this bird or the previous resident birds of Angevine
>> Lake?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Randy
>> _________________________________
>> RF Lauff
>> Way in the boonies of
>> Antigonish County, NS.
>>

>> On 18 April 2011 10:23, Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Was woken at 2:30 a.m. by our resident Whip poor will.  Peepers also
>>> tuning up for the first time last night.
>>> Angevine Lake, Cumberland County
>>>

> --
> James Churchill
> Kentville, Nova Scotia
> jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> home: (902) 681-2374

--bcaec547c9956b00a804a133ddd1

With regard to lack of aerial insects, I just wanted to mention that we wer=
e out fishing about a week ago on the Southampton River (Cumberland County)=

:47 PM, James Churchill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurc=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex;">
hi folks, <br><br>I am no expert either. However, I do recall some very ear=
ly and surprising records for this species. I personally heard one near Ayl=
esford Lake during an owl survey April 24 2009. But not again at that locat=
ion that season, or since. And there are some early reports in Ontario of m=
id to late April.<br>

 right now. There is some indication that Eastern Whip-poor-wills are able =
to undergo daily torpor (at least males; Lane et al. 2004), and maybe that =
is a factor in how they could cut the unpredictable, hungry springs up here=
. Recalling the recent naturens string re: bats hunting during the day this=
 time of year, I wonder if Whip-poor-wills also have some feeding-related a=
daptations to cope with unpredictable food source this time of year. <br>

lass=3D"h5"><br><br>
Lauff <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=
left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex">
>I would have guessed that arriving now would be quite early for most aeria=
l insectivores...we&#39;re just getting in the first Tree Swallow reports, =
aren&#39;t we (I confess to not keeping up with all the sightings)? And Tre=
e Swallows can eat bayberry fruit (perhaps other stuff as well as air-borne=
 insects?).</div>

/nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm" target=3D"_blank">http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/=
nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm</a>) says the earliest record is of May 4th; I u=
nderstand that Tufts is outdated...but a 2.5 week advance of the earliest r=
ecord seems odd.</div>

that means it has been there last year as well, perhaps longer? It&#39;s a =
m sure that the tone of my email strikes folks as skeptical. On the one han=
d, the call of the Whip-poor-will is rather distinctive, but the bird&#39;s=
 rarity and normal date of arriv