[NatureNS] Whip poor will , peepers at my fen Angevine Lake

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:28:57 -0300

 rarity and normal date of arriv
--_e9eaeb7a-971f-4bf6-bcb6-b2885f86cde6_

I have noticed in the past that they start to call when the peepers do - do=
 they eat peepers ...?
=20

From: randy.lauff@gmail.com
Date: Mon=2C 18 Apr 2011 11:16:03 -0300
Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Whip poor will =2C peepers at my fen Angevine Lake
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I have never heard nor seen a Whip-poor-will.

I would have guessed that arriving now would be quite early for most aerial=
 insectivores...we're just getting in the first Tree Swallow reports=2C are=
n't we (I confess to not keeping up with all the sightings)? And Tree Swall=
ows can eat bayberry fruit (perhaps other stuff as well as air-borne insect=
s?).

Tufts (on line http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/bns0222.htm) says=
 the earliest record is of May 4th=3B I understand that Tufts is outdated..=
.but a 2.5 week advance of the earliest record seems odd.

If the bird is described as resident=2C I'm assuming that means it has been=
 there last year as well=2C perhaps longer? It's a shame it's not documente=
d on the Atlas.

I'm sure that the tone of my email strikes folks as skeptical. On the one h=
and=2C the call of the Whip-poor-will is rather distinctive=2C but the bird=
's rarity and normal date of arrival makes this Cumberland bird sighting ou=
t of line with what I know. And what I know of this species isn't much.

Any more details on this bird or the previous resident birds of Angevine La=
ke?

Thanks=2C
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of