[NatureNS] Bird Reports

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:51:06 +0000

--_d1905f01-8b41-419d-b0c7-88a6479f26fc_

Hi all:
=20
For the better part of the winter Bob Thexton of Bridgewater has had a poss=
ible orange-crowned warbler.  As of last Saturday he reports it as still co=
ming.  "I last saw the bird Saturday.  It is still a regular feeder but not=
 quite as frequent as it was in early March.  It comes about three times a =
day=2C still solitary.  I keep my suet and peanut feeders well stocked for =
it.   It seems to prefer the suet first=2C the peanuts second."  I've not s=
een the bird yet although I've made about four trips.  I have not heard tel=
l of an orange-crowned warbler going to peanuts before.  Have others ever h=
eard of such out of curiousity?  I'm still visiting trying to get a look at=
 the bird to confirm it. =20

On another note=2C Bob tells us "I have a pair of white breasted nuthatches=
 in my bird house not too far from my deck.  The bird house has been up=2C =
and inactive for one year.  The nuthatches have been collecting nesting mat=
erial for the last week to ten days. I believe she must be sitting on eggs =
now as I quite often see one head poking out of the nest box while the seco=
nd one is nearby.  I have noted a behaviour in both nuthatches I have never=
 seen before. Both birds will get some nesting material in their mouth then=
 start swinging their heads from side to side while at the same time striki=
ng the nesting material against the tree trunk.  They seem to be rolling it=
 into a compact ball."  This was reported to me as an observation by someon=
e who had a nesting pair of white-breasted nuthatches last year also. =20

Bob also saw approximately 15 tree swallows in Lunenburg today plus one bar=
n swallow.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport
 		 	   		  =

--_d1905f01-8b41-419d-b0c7-88a6479f26fc_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
For the better part of the winter Bob Thexton of Bridgewater has had&nbsp=
=3Ba possible&nbsp=3Borange-crowned warbler.&nbsp=3B As of last Saturday he=
 reports it as still coming.&nbsp=3B "I last saw the bird Saturday.&nbsp=3B=
 It is still a regular feeder but not quite as frequent as it was in early =
March.&nbsp=3B It comes about three times a day=2C still solitary.&nbsp=3B =
I keep my suet and peanut feeders well stocked for it. &nbsp=3B It seems to=
 prefer the suet first=2C the peanuts second."&nbsp=3B I've not seen the bi=
rd yet although I've made about four trips.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI have not heard=
 tell of an orange-crowned warbler going to peanuts before.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B=
Have others ever heard of such out of curiousity?&nbsp=3B I'm still visitin=
g trying to get a look at the bird to confirm it.&nbsp=3B <BR>
<BR>On another note=2C Bob tells us "I have a pair of white breasted nuthat=
ches in my bird house not too far from my deck.&nbsp=3B The bird house has =
been up=2C and inactive for one year.&nbsp=3B The nuthatches have been coll=
ecting nesting material for the last week to ten days. I believe she must b=
e sitting on eggs now as I quite often see one head poking out of the nest =
box while the second one is nearby.&nbsp=3B I have noted a behaviour in bot=
h nuthatches I have never seen before. Both birds will get some nesting mat=
erial in their mouth then start swinging their heads from side to side whil=
e at the same time striking the nesting material against the tree trunk.&nb=
sp=3B They seem to be rolling it into a compact ball."&nbsp=3B This was rep=
orted to me as an observation by someone who had a nesting pair of white-br=
easted nuthatches last year also.&nbsp=3B <BR>
<BR>Bob also&nbsp=3Bsaw approximately 15 tree swallows in Lunenburg today p=
lus one barn swallow.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_d1905f01-8b41-419d-b0c7-88a6479f26fc_--