[NatureNS] Birds crash into high rise buildings - article

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:21:43 -0300
From: <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Elizabeth Doull <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>

Thank you Liz,

There is a 15 floor highrise apartment building being proposed to be built at the sight of the (now sold) Walkers Funeral Home at the bottom of Glenwood Avenue, (Prince Albert Rd. overlooking Lake Banook) here in Dartmouth; have seen the plans for the building, at a community meeting held several weeks ago for homeowners on our street (to gauge our thoughts & opinions of the proposal). It will be a very high-end apartment building BUT with LOTS of glass and shiny surfaces. Wish I had this info when I attended this meeting...sigh...
There is a green belt that exists between Glenwood & Celtic Avenues, that, though,  not designated as being ecologically sensitive, certainly has attracted some very interesting birds in the past.
A property next to the commercially zoned Walkers was also purchased for this project and, as it zoned as residential, must go before City Council in the near future, for application to be re-zoned as commercial.
Do not know when that will take place & though, I never want to stand in the way of (as many feel), 'progress', I, personally, do not like the proposed project, specifically, because of (in my way of thinking-could be wrong, of course) the possible negative environmental impact on, at the very least, the greenbelt.

Gayle MacLean
Glenwood Ave.
Dartmouth