[NatureNS] Re: Litter

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:03:29 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_4Wbx0WhDPruKnjhSOM8YNw)

Hi Darrell,            Apr 22, 2011
    Hefty fines would be great provided they target those who litter and not the property owners. If I understand correctly, if someone litters a property then the owner can be fined if he fails to clean it up. In general, the owner is easier to locate than is an unknown litterbug so I expect this is the justification. But it seems to me that the owner is victimized twice by this practice.

    I think education by example can be effective and is relatively cost-free. And to judge from the people with whom I have hiked, hunted or fished, even those who initially littered need to be chided only once.

    Each year, when the back-seat necking season gets underway, I go prepared to collect bags of containers, wrappers etc at the entrance to my North Alton woodlot but after a while people notice that trash has gone missing and stop littering. In this way I think I have trained a few young people to refrain from littering.

    When I did have time to walk, I usually went prepared with a grocery bag and rarely came out empty. I think this also helps because even slobs are less inclined to litter where litter is absent.

    But the small trash is nothing compared to the rubbish along secondary highways. If you have time and patience you can locate just about anything. Our new waste management practices reduced the volume of materials going to the dumps in part by making dumps of roadsides. Until realistic waste management practices are implemented this can get only worse.

    About 15 years ago I was on a Waste Management Committee, which turned out to be a waste-of-my-time committee in that members were expected to rubber-stamp the consultant's proposals, and when I objected that the proposed user fees, locked gates and too wide-spacing of disposal sites would increase roadside dumping I was told that this was an enforcement issue and our committee was not charged with enforcement. To paraphrase the better mousetrap saying, if you build a worse waste management system then the world will beat a path to impromptu dump sites.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville