[NatureNS] NS014 Owl route+ G. Yellowlegs

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:03:33 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_7M/MUgsYsvzEjq6I7MMMqA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Rick Ferguson and I ran our second nocturnal owl route tonight (April 22). It was perfect weather conditions with no wind, clear starry skies, not many jets and amphibians are still in  low gear. The temperature was -1C at the end of the route. The route runs from SunnyBrae- Caledonia (Guys- for you Jim!) mostly through  an area burned in the Trafalgar fire
in the late 70's. The "forest" that was planted after the fire has mostly beeen harvested and the route has very few good trees fow owl breeding. Last year we had only a single Saw-whet. This year we doubled our owl total with 1 Barred Owl and 1 Great Horned Owl, both calling in the first 2 minutes of silent listning. There was no response from any owls with the recorded owl calls. Our first stop had our only  Wilson's Snipe (1) and our second stop 2 Woodcock. Peepers were heard on 4 stops and Wood Frogs on 4 stops. I saw 2 shooting stars, but we must have missed the space station pass.

At the old Drummond Mine site in Westville this morning, Rick had 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 6 Wilson's Snipe and 1 Blue-winged Teal as well as singing Swamp Sparrows.

--Boundary_(ID_7M/MUgsYsvzEjq6I7MMMqA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Rick Ferguson and I ran our second nocturnal owl
route tonight (April 22). It was perfect weather conditions with no wind, clear
starry skies, not many jets and amphibians are still in&nbsp; low gear. The
temperature was -1C at the end of the route. The route runs from SunnyBrae-
Caledonia (Guys- for you Jim!) mostly through&nbsp; an area burned in the
Trafalgar fire</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>in the late 70's. The "forest" that was planted
after the fire has mostly beeen&nbsp;harvested and the&nbsp;route has very few
good trees fow owl breeding. Last year we had only a single Saw-whet. This year
we doubled our owl total with 1 Barred Owl and 1 Great Horned Owl, both calling
in the first 2 minutes of silent listning. There was no response from any owls
with the recorded owl calls. Our first stop had our only&nbsp; Wilson's Snipe
(1)&nbsp;and our second stop 2 Woodcock. Peepers were heard on 4 stops and Wood
Frogs on 4 stops. I saw 2 shooting stars, but we must have missed the space
station pass.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the old Drummond Mine site in Westville this
morning, Rick&nbsp;had 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 6 Wilson's Snipe and 1 Blue-winged
Teal as well as singing Swamp&nbsp;Sparrows.
&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_7M/MUgsYsvzEjq6I7MMMqA)--