[NatureNS] Owl route last night

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:30:43 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--bcaec55552d20d755104a1be3885

Yesterday evening Bernard Forsythe, Rck Whitman and I did my annual owl
route, starting at the beginning of the Mines Road, behind Falmouth, and
ending up in the wilds of the upper Avon watershed not far from Black River
Lake - a place on the map as Benjamins Mills, but with just woods and
logging roads. It was a great night - not too cold, windless, and very
clear, with brilliant stars, but lots of planes. Spring peepers and Wood
frogs were prominent and loud at most stops. We had a few Woodcock and no
Snipe. There was a Hermit thrush singing at the first stop, and we could see
the silhouette of a Raven on a nest in the twilight.

For the first 6 stops we thought we were going to have a complete bust with
regard to owls, but after that things just got progressively better. For the
last 4 stops, away from civilization, Saw-whets were tooting non-stop from
the time we stopped the car to the time we headed off to the next stop. One
was obviously right beside the road but remained well hidden in thick
spruce. We had a pair of distant Great Horned calling to each other, and
probably at least 1 other bird. At the last stop, while listening to both of
the above, and also a distant calling Common loon, a pair of Barred owls
suddenly started up close by, almost mimicking the CD, and flying in next to
the road. We could see one of them bobbing its head around as if to look
where the mechanical rival was coming from.

In the end a total of 11 owls on a fine night made for a great survey this
year.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--bcaec55552d20d755104a1be3885

Yesterday evening Bernard Forsythe, Rck Whitman and I did my annual owl rou=
te, starting at the beginning of the Mines Road, behind Falmouth, and endin=
g up in the wilds of the upper Avon watershed not far from Black River Lake=
 - a place on the map as Benjamins Mills, but with just woods and logging r=
oads. It was a great night - not too cold, windless, and very clear, with b=
rilliant stars, but lots of planes. Spring peepers and Wood frogs were prom=
inent and loud at most stops. We had a few Woodcock and no Snipe. There was=
 a Hermit thrush singing at the first stop, and we could see the silhouette=
 of a Raven on a nest in the twilight. <br>

with regard to owls, but after that things just got progressively better. F=
or the last 4 stops, away from civilization, Saw-whets were tooting non-sto=
p from the time we stopped the car to the time we headed off to the next st=
op. One was obviously right beside the road but remained well hidden in thi=
ck spruce. We had a pair of distant Great Horned calling to each other, and=
 probably at least 1 other bird. At the last stop, while listening to both =
of the above, and also a distant calling Common loon, a pair of Barred owls=
 suddenly started up close by, almost mimicking the CD, and flying in next =
to the road. We could see one of them bobbing its head around as if to look=
 where the mechanical rival was coming from.<br>

T0<br>