[NatureNS] Cardinal behavior

Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 02:20:28 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 11/05/2011 1:42 PM, jen cooper wrote:
> A male cardinal began attacking, with vengeance, her picture window
> last week. She hung towels in front of it and he persisted attacking
> the two inch gap that was left. She fixed the gap. He then moved on to
> her passenger side window, perching on the side view mirror and
> "bombing" the car into quite a mess.
>
> I assumed his nest was nearby and he was being aggressive with his
> reflection. Its been almost 2 weeks now. Has anyone experienced this
> type of behavior with male cardinals before?

Not a cardinal, but we have a resident junco that attacks its "rival" in
the car passenger-side mirror every year. It doesn't matter where the
car is parked. The junco always approaches the car from the driver's
side, then works its way across the windshield attacking its reflection,
and finally spends as much as five minutes perching on the mirror and
hopping down to deal with that other junco in the mirror. This happens
regularly throughout the day at this time of year.

Doug Linzey