[NatureNS] Another Urban Myth Debunked

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 07:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-591537193-1305124760=:90474

Hi HansBeing a rain day and just recovering from some health nastiness, I w=
ould like to tell my story of the mother bear and her cubs.On a pleasant su=
mmer day, my wife asked if maybe we could do a little canoe paddle. I was m=
ore than happy to do so.The selected lake is good for water birds but is ab=
out 500 m in the woods on an old trail.So I took the canoe on my back and w=
e started off, my wife in the lead. at about the 300m mark my wife stopped =
and said " a Bear" she then reached in my pocket for the truck keys and was=
 back in the truck quick time.I said "No - perhaps a porky" so I put the ca=
noe down so I could see. Sure enough there stood a bear about 50 meters awa=
y. She ided it correctly!As I watched the bear with the canoe at my feet, t=
he bear gave a deep bark. Out of the tree a few feet away from me feel a cu=
b. It didn't back down the tree just feel out end over end. It scrambled to=
 its feet and ran of to mother.Another bark - another cub except
 this one nearly fell in the canoe. It too jumped to its feet and joined mo=
ther. Mother gave me a look as to say - have a nice day - and ambled of thr=
ough the woods.The moral is act quitely and Mother wouldn't do any harm. Th=
e biggest danger is to scare them and they take off in whatever direction t=
hey are pointed. The run into trees, rocks and whatever. If you happen to b=
e in the way - into you also.It a great privelage to live in an area where =
you can be close to bears.Growing up on PEI there were only things of old p=
eoples tales.Enjoy nature and the bears and salmonPaul