[NatureNS] Re: PEI birding suggestions?

Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:26:03 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3670312==.ALT

At 10:28 PM 12/05/2011, Paul wrote:
>This weekend I am going to be in Summerside PEI with a few spare
>hours and would like to do a bit of birding and photography but
>haven't had a chance to do much advance planning. I was wondering if
>anyone had a favourite location/park/route/etc. to suggest?

Not off topic I think.  We share the same area code.

Most of the best PEI birding sites are in the remaining natural areas
(such as PEI National Park), and at migrant traps, such as East Point
or North Point.   The bays, beaches, and harbours are great for
shorebirds, but not until mid-July onwards.

So, in the Summerside area, you have some problems, at least in
May.  A little driving might be involved.

A couple of sites come to mind.  First is Indian River Pond, which
was once (and may still be) a National Wildlife Area.  Take Highway 2
out of Summerside, and in a few km watch for Route 106 (Clermont
Road) on your left.   Take Route 106 and drive for roughly 6 km to
where the road crosses an estuary -- the pond is to your right.  GPS
= N46 27 36.7 W63 40 23.2.

The second is called the Devil's Punchbowl Conservation Area, a
former Provincial Park.

http://www.gov.pe.ca/where.php3?cgndb=BAAWA

GPS = 46'25"N, 63'29"W

There are tracts of mixed woodland, and a trail leading to the
"crater".   To reach the site get back on Hwy 2, go in the direction
of Charlottetown, and turn left on Route 254 (Rattenbury
Road).  Proceed for 4 km and start watching carefully for the
entrance, which is easily overlooked.  If you reach Stanley Bridge,
you've gone too far.

In addition to these sites you can stop at any woodlot to listen for
birds.   The traffic on side roads is never very busy, so birding
from the roads is a good option.

Good luck.   Let us know how you fare.

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club
http://tinyurl.com/naturetravel

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_3670312==.ALT

At 10:28 PM 12/05/2011, Paul wrote:<br>
Summerside PEI with a few spare hours and would like to do a bit of
birding and photography but haven’t had a chance to do much advance
planning. I was wondering if anyone had a favourite
location/park/route/etc. to suggest?</blockquote><br>
Not off topic I think.&nbsp; We share the same area code.<br><br>
Most of the best PEI birding sites are in the remaining natural areas
(such as PEI National Park), and at migrant traps, such as East Point or
North Point.&nbsp;&nbsp; The bays, beaches, and harbours are great for
shorebirds, but not until mid-July onwards.<br><br>
So, in the Summerside area, you have some problems, at least in
May.&nbsp; A little driving might be involved.<br><br>
A couple of sites come to mind.&nbsp; First is Indian River Pond, which
was once (and may still be) a National Wildlife Area.&nbsp; Take Highway
2 out of Summerside, and in a few km watch for Route 106 (Clermont Road)
on your left.&nbsp;&nbsp; Take Route 106 and drive for roughly 6 km to
where the road crosses an estuary -- the pond is to your right.&nbsp; GPS
= N46 27 36.7 W63 40 23.2.<br><br>
The second is called the Devil's Punchbowl Conservation Area, a former
Provincial Park.<br><br>
There are tracts of mixed woodland, and a trail leading to the
&quot;crater&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp; To reach the site get back on Hwy 2, go
in the direction of Charlottetown, and turn left on Route 254 (Rattenbury
Road).&nbsp; Proceed for 4 km and start watching carefully for the
entrance, which is easily overlooked.&nbsp; If you reach Stanley Bridge,
you've gone too far.<br><br>
In addition to these sites you can stop at any woodlot to listen for
birds.&nbsp;&nbsp; The traffic on side roads is never very busy, so
birding from the roads is a good option.<br><br>
Good luck.&nbsp;&nbsp; Let us know how you fare.<br><br>
Blake<br>
&nbsp; <br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/<br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club<br>
author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>