[NatureNS] Chimney Swifts in RTNC Wolfville - NSMC

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:28:44 -0300

NSMC May 14 /11 - Wolfville RTNC chimney :

It was heavily overcast with light rain showers falling.

12 Chimney Swifts began appearing at 8.18p.m. and could be heard as they
circled over the Robie Tufts Nature Centre area in downtown Wolfville and
then disappeared. Five mins later, ~30 in various-sized flocks appeared but
again showing no interest in entering the chimney, they too disappeared.
Suddenly at 8.30 p.m. I was a little surprised to see a larger flock of
Swifts appear almost out of nowhere and immediately pour down into the RTNC
chimney. They disappeared so fast I wondered how they could sort out their
roost places in that chimney without bumping into each other!  I barely had
time to count them but my best guesstimate is 60 swifts.  I remained until
8.45 p.m. but no other swifts appeared.

Cheers.

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts