[NatureNS] Re: request for Point Pelee NP birding suggestions

Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:03:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_362326906==.ALT

At 12:20 PM 17/05/2011, James Churchill wrote:
>We are heading to Point Pelee NP and area in the last week of May
>(wow!) and would greatly appreciate any recommendations from fellow
>birders/naturalists.

The park's web site (such as it is) is here:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pelee/index.aspx

There is a "Birding Guide to Point Pelee" for sale at the park's
Vistor Centre, though I cannot find an on-line source.   It is not on Amazon.

You can obtain a printer-friendly version of the Pelee Park Map here:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/~/media/pn-np/on/Pelee/pdf/park_map_e.ashx

In late May the park gates open at 0600, and I encourage you to enter
at that time.  Drive through to the parking lot at the Visitor
Centre, and then walk the 2 km to the tip of the park, and do a lake
watch.  After activity dies down you can work your way back to the
Visitor Centre.  By the last week of May the free shuttle service
between the Visitor Centre and the Tip does not start until 1000, and
that is too late for effective birding.  The Visitor Centre should be
open by 0800, at which time you can consult a book of recent bird
sightings.  And don't be shy about asking others regarding what they
are seeing: most of the visiting birders will be helpful.

It might be late for most migrant birds, so I encourage you to add
Rondeau Provincial Park to your itinerary, which has more species of
breeding birds.

http://www.rondeauprovincialpark.ca/

You could also consider a visit to the Ojibway Prairie Nature Centre
in Windsor.

http://www.ojibway.ca/index.htm

There are some trip reports to southern Ontario listed here:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/Canada/ON-Index.htm

That should be enough to get you started.

Safe travels,

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club
http://tinyurl.com/naturetravel

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_362326906==.ALT

At 12:20 PM 17/05/2011, James Churchill wrote:<br>
and area in the last week of May (wow!) and would greatly appreciate any
recommendations from fellow birders/naturalists.</blockquote><br>
The park's web site (such as it is) is here:<br><br>
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pelee/index.aspx<br><br>
</a>There is a &quot;Birding Guide to Point Pelee&quot; for sale at the
park's Vistor Centre, though I cannot find an on-line source.&nbsp;&nbsp;
It is not on Amazon.<br><br>
You can obtain a printer-friendly version of the Pelee Park Map
here:<br><br>
http://www.pc.gc.ca/~/media/pn-np/on/Pelee/pdf/park_map_e.ashx<br><br>
</a>In late May the park gates open at 0600, and I encourage you to enter
at that time.&nbsp; Drive through to the parking lot at the Visitor
Centre, and then walk the 2 km to the tip of the park, and do a lake
watch.&nbsp; After activity dies down you can work your way back to the
Visitor Centre.&nbsp; By the last week of May the free shuttle service
between the Visitor Centre and the Tip does not start until 1000, and
that is too late for effective birding.&nbsp; The Visitor Centre should
be open by 0800, at which time you can consult a book of recent bird
sightings.&nbsp; And don't be shy about asking others regarding what they
are seeing: most of the visiting birders will be helpful.<br><br>
It might be late for most migrant birds, so I encourage you to add
Rondeau Provincial Park to your itinerary, which has more species of
breeding birds.<br><br>
You could also consider a visit to the Ojibway Prairie Nature Centre in
Windsor.<br><br>
There are some trip reports to southern Ontario listed here:<br><br>
That should be enough to get you started.<br><br>
Safe travels,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/<br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club<br>
author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>