[NatureNS] Re: injured jaeger

Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:13:44 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

 Doninck&lt;br&gt;&lt;b&gt;Sent:&lt;/b&gt; May 17, 2011 11:26&lt;br&gt;&lt;b&gt;To:&lt;/b&gt; naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&lt;br&gt;&lt;b&gt;Subject:&lt;/b&gt; Re: [NatureNS] Re: injured jaeger&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="MsoNormal"&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Hi All, Kathleen is right,it will be hard to catch if it can still fly but he will weaken. Would be happy to take him if someone can catch him. Most birds can outrun a person but the key is to use a couple of people and try to run him up against something like a cluster of rocks. I would drop a sheet or towel over him and scoop into a box . If he's thin and dehydrated he will require rehydration before feeding ( usually intravenous) so if someone grabs him, please dont feed him before he is assessed by a veterinarian. Feeding an emaciated or severely dehydrated animal can actually be fatal. I hope someone can catch him and we can f
--0016e6d274856959e804a37b0ed7

Hi John, thanks for the update. I think it would be best if people don't
force it to fly. I doubt it has a fracture if it can still fly, but it most
likely has at least a soft tissue injury and with the angle of the droop on
the wing it's likely high up, like humerus or shoulder. No matter where the
injury is, rest will help and it seems like it's choosing to rest quite a
bit  which is a good thing. Will need to save up it's energy to look for
food when it has to. Just my 2 cents.
Randy, as much as I would like to see your collection grow, if it comes to
me I will do my best to make sure it doesn't come to you (huge smile here).
I'm assuming most on this list know I'm a wildlife vet and Randy is a
biologist  and scientist who collects skeletons :)
I'm actually hoping it doesn't have to come to either of us and is just a
temporary visitor.
Helene
Ps Tuma, thanks for the transport offer :)