[NatureNS] Birds in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:11:56 -0300

Hello, yesterday after lunch, just, we were getting ready to go to the
museum in town to the talk on the middens of Port Joli by Dr. Mathew Betts,
I spied a flash of a blue that could only be one bird. A minute later a
lovely male Indigo bunting perched proudly atop the grapevine and sang his
song. I haven't seen it since but have been pretty busy. I managed a peek
out the window just before dusk and there was a few Purple finch females on
the ground and there was another bird with them; it might have been a female
finch but more heavily marked and some thing different in the markings. It
was darkening quickly and we were entertaining so I couldn't keep looking.
This morning there is a very lovely melody wafting about the yard in the
fog, a small bird song, I'm sure so when I have time I hope to find that
out.
Hummingbirds are feeding heavily at the feeders. Grackles seem to have let
one brood fly and seem to be immediately set another nest. Hard on future
feed bills I am sure. I haven't seen a young robin out yet but there should
be some so maybe they have all been predated.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens