[NatureNS] Birds in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:41:51 -0400

I am slow getting about this morning but we have a number of birds who don't
appear to be.
Mourning Doves, not as many as usual but we don't have the storm protection
we had before the hedge came down, Blue Jays, American Goldfinches, American
Tree Sparrows, three, Chickadees,  Juncos, both hairy and downy woodpeckers,
there is a gorgeous Northern Flicker, male and "Our" Robin, along with other
Robins, Starlings, Crows and there is a Yellow- bellied Sapsucker hammering
away at the apple tree. I will try once again to get the four Woodpeckers in
the one photo. Last one didn't show clearly but maybe with the snow... I
can't say is it the same Sapsucker as before; it seems a different size, the
darks seem heavier  and streakier, and there is a fair bit of a yellow wash
about the shoulders. There is a very mottled glimpse of red (barely) at the
head but the light is so much stronger from reflection on the snow from
before, I can't see the front at all. It is staying very low down on the
trunks and if the neighbourhood cats get to it, it won't last long.
This is the first snow we have had to shovel this winter. Hard to imagine we
are into March.
best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point Queens, co..