[NatureNS] Yellow-crowned Night Heron(update)

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:00:26 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_UFzgZXgkAWYxazSfpSomKQ)

I found the Yellow-crowned Night Heron this morning within a few minutes after arriving at Rocky Run, HRM.  I photographed it while it caught and ate two crabs.  How do they swallow these crabs alive without damage to themselves? The throat and stomach muscles of the heron must be so strong that the crab cannot open any of its claws.

I last saw the heron by the floating dock on the east side of the run about 2/3 the distance from the road bridge to the foot bridge.  This species tends to hang around where there is good crabbing, its specialty.  The best place to see and photograph it, at least this morning, was from the foot bridge(rails to trails) or through the trees on the gravel part of the trail.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_UFzgZXgkAWYxazSfpSomKQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I found the <STRONG>Yellow-crowned Night
Heron</STRONG> this morning within a few minutes after arriving at Rocky Run,
HRM.&nbsp; I photographed it while it caught and ate two crabs.&nbsp; How do
they swallow these crabs alive without damage to themselves? The throat and
stomach muscles of the heron must be so strong that the crab cannot open any of
its claws.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I last saw the heron by the floating dock on the
east side of the run about 2/3 the distance from the road bridge to the foot
bridge.&nbsp; This species tends to hang around where there is good crabbing,
its specialty.&nbsp; The best place to see and photograph it, at least this
morning, was from the foot bridge(rails to trails) or through the trees on the
gravel part of the trail.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_UFzgZXgkAWYxazSfpSomKQ)--