[NatureNS] Bird Sleuthing

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:04:47 +0000

--_aa80e3e1-1ae6-4ac7-a02b-9a598ae9f69b_

I was trying to figure out what was going on between a house sparrow nest a=
nd a european starling nest within 15 inches of one another.  A week ago I =
observed a pair of european starlings activing feeding vocal young=2C of wh=
ich I assumed were starlings.  They were going into one side of the eve tha=
t comes off of the roof and goes back to the left on the side of a building=
.  On the other side of this eve about 15 inches or so away=2C I observed h=
ouse sparrows going in and out.  So you can understand my confusion as to w=
hat might be going on.  So the first scenario that comes to mind is that ho=
use sparrows had hatched young and that the European starlings think they a=
re their young in their nest.  I went back a few days later and there was n=
o sound of young and the two adult European starlings were nearby=2C but no=
t entering the nest site.  So my next thoughts are maybe the house sparrows=
 have predated the european starlings.  Today at the site I watched both ad=
ult house sparrows going in and out straight time with food and there were =
vocal house sparrow young calling.  I watched the starlings nearby=2C the p=
air and one went inside=2C but did not come out.  So maybe the starling is =
in there now predating the house sparrows.  The house sparrows were still i=
n and out feeding though=2C so that does not make sense.  So maybe the star=
lings are still incubating eggs and it was the house sparrows that were alw=
ays vocal and calling.  I don't know and I'm really confused as to what is =
happening now.  I'll have to keep an eye on things and maybe the mystery of=
 what is happening will be apparent once and for all. =20
=20
I've noticed this year that with starling nests it is real hard to determin=
e the outcome.  One day I'm hearing vocal young and the adults are feeding =
and the next nothing.  Usually when young are old enough I see heads sticki=
ng out waiting for adults to come and feed them and this goes on for about =
a week.  I'm not getting this at all with most nests and suspect failure fo=
r some reason especially for earlier nests when it was really wet and cold.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_aa80e3e1-1ae6-4ac7-a02b-9a598ae9f69b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
I was trying to figure out what was going on between a house sparrow nest a=
nd a european starling nest within 15 inches of one another.&nbsp=3B A week=
 ago I observed a pair of european starlings activing feeding vocal young=
=2C of which I assumed were starlings.&nbsp=3B They were going into one sid=
e of the eve that comes off of the roof and goes back to the left on the si=
de of a building.&nbsp=3B On the other side of this eve about 15 inches or =
so away=2C I observed house sparrows going in and out.&nbsp=3B So you can u=
nderstand my confusion as to what might be going on.&nbsp=3B So the first s=
cenario that comes to mind is that house sparrows had hatched young and tha=
t the European starlings think they are their young in their nest.&nbsp=3B =
I went back a few days later and there was no sound of young and the two ad=
ult European starlings were nearby=2C but not entering the nest site.&nbsp=
=3B So my next thoughts are maybe the house sparrows have predated the euro=
pean starlings.&nbsp=3B Today at the site I watched both adult house sparro=
ws going in and out straight time with food and there were vocal house spar=
row young calling.&nbsp=3B I watched the starlings nearby=2C the pair and o=
ne went inside=2C but did not come out.&nbsp=3B So maybe the starling is in=
 there now predating the house sparrows.&nbsp=3B The house sparrows were st=
ill in and out feeding though=2C so that does not make sense.&nbsp=3B So ma=
ybe the starlings are still incubating eggs and it was the house sparrows t=
hat were always vocal and calling.&nbsp=3B I don't know and I'm really conf=
used as to what is happening now.&nbsp=3B I'll have to keep an eye on thing=
s and maybe the mystery of what is happening will be apparent once and for =
all.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I've noticed this year that with starling nests it is real hard to determin=
e the outcome.&nbsp=3B One day I'm hearing vocal young and the adults are f=
eeding and the next nothing.&nbsp=3B Usually when young are old enough I se=
e heads sticking out waiting for adults to come and feed them and this goes=
 on for about a week.&nbsp=3B I'm not getting this at all with most nests a=
nd suspect failure for some reason especially for earlier nests when it was=
 really wet and cold.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_aa80e3e1-1ae6-4ac7-a02b-9a598ae9f69b_--