[NatureNS] Create a coastal park -Save the Bedford Basin reef and tide pools

From: "Andy Moir/Christine Callaghan" <slickdog1@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 09:00:14 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CC28DF.24B37320

Unfortunately the industrialization of Nova Scotia's coastline is going =
forward unchecked.  Our minister of environment, Sterling Belliveau, =
refers to these types of developments as "minuscule" in terms of the =
total amount of coastline Nova Scotia has.  Groups such as yours are =
easily isolated by the government and developers, referring to you as =
Nimby's....and in one piece of namecalling, dismiss your legitimate =
concerns.  I have witnessed this same arrogant approach by the current =
government here on Digby Neck and Islands...the latest being the =
approval of a massive fish feed lots on St. Mary's Bay.  There is very =
strong scientific evidence as to the harm these feedlots can do to the =
ecosystem...yet the government says the creation of jobs takes priority. =
 What a sad commentary.  It's made worse by the fact that the man in =
charge of promoting these harmful open-net fish farms is also the same =
minister in charge of protecting Nova Scotia's environment.  I'm pretty =
well convinced that those in power will never get it when it comes to =
the environment.  They haven't figured out how to raise taxes or make =
money off a natural environment...so they allow these developments to go =
ahead, because that's where the money is.
Thus endeth my Sunday Morning rant.
Good luck in trying to save what's left of your coastline.
Andy Moir
Freeport
  ----- Original Message -----=20