[NatureNS] White Point Birds and

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:15:58 -0300

Hi Jane,

Your tree with the "maple-like" leaves with yellow flowers hanging down in
racemes sounds like one of our native maples alright - probably Striped or
Moose Maple (Acer pensylvanicum).  On your next walk in Shubie, also keep
your eye out for Mountain Maple (Acer spicatum) which has rather coarse,
crepe-like maple leaves with the raceme of yellow flowers pointing upwards.
We saw it there last year for the first time.
I still rely quite heavily on Ray Fielding's little book "Shrubs of Nova
Scotia" for the identification of small trees and shrubs.

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax