[NatureNS] Birds around Bedford

From: Donald Mac Laughlin <mundobirder@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:57:24 -0200

--_3418bd41-2df0-4675-98c5-ee141af10016_

Saturday morning around 11:00=2C I was in Kingswood Subdivision and found a=
 logging road I had not seen before off of Voyager Way in Kingswood West. A=
s I was looking down the road from the entrance I heard a Common Nighthawk =
buzzing just inside the woods about 15 metres from me.=20
Saturday afternoon we walked the Sackville River Trail from Bedford Place M=
all to the Old Sackville Road (about 2.5 km each way.) On this walk we saw =
some Muskrats and a Weasel. Fish were jumping in the river. What surprised =
me here were 2 adult and wha appeared to be a young Osprey flying overhead =
with the young Osprey begging for food.  To me this is at least 6 weeks ear=
lier than I have ever seen an young Osprey out of the nest. If I look at th=
e Osprey camera=2C http://museum.gov.ns.ca/osprey/ It seems like she is sti=
ll either incubating or at least keeping small babies warm. I mentioned thi=
s to a friend and he said he saw the same thing (2 adults and apparently a =
baby) flying over Sandy Lake in Bedford last week which is only a few kilom=
etres away.
Saturday night another friend and I walked around Kearney Lake finishing af=
ter sunset. I was nice to see and hear many hermit thrushes in the woods an=
d then while walking on Kearney Lake Road we saw 8 Common Nighthawks flying=
 around. On the trail between the end of Saskatoon Drive and the end of Bel=
le Drive we saw several places that had DOZENS of Lady Slippers in bloom.
Donald Mac LaughlinHalifax=2C NS

This email address is not checked for incomming mail.  If you need to send =
me a mail please send it to dmbluenoser AT hotmail

 		 	   		  =

--_3418bd41-2df0-4675-98c5-ee141af10016_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Saturday morning around 11:00=2C I was in Kingswood Subdivision and found a=
 logging road I had not seen before off of Voyager Way in Kingswood West. A=
s I was looking down the road from the entrance I heard a Common Nighthawk =
buzzing just inside the woods about 15 metres from me.&nbsp=3B<div><br></di=
v><div>Saturday afternoon we walked the Sackville River Trail from Bedford =
Place Mall to the Old Sackville Road (about 2.5 km each way.) On this walk =
we saw some Muskrats and a Weasel. Fish were jumping in the river. What sur=
prised me here were 2 adult and wha appeared to be a young Osprey flying ov=
erhead with the young Osprey begging for food. &nbsp=3BTo me this is at lea=
st 6 weeks earlier than I have ever seen an&nbsp=3Byoung&nbsp=3BOsprey out =
of the nest. If I look at the Osprey camera=2C&nbsp=3B<a href=3D"http://mus=
eum.gov.ns.ca/osprey/">http://museum.gov.ns.ca/osprey/</a>&nbsp=3BIt seems =
like she is still either incubating or at least keeping small babies warm. =
I mentioned this to a friend and he said he saw the same thing (2 adults an=
d apparently a baby) flying over Sandy Lake in Bedford last week which is o=
friend and I walked around Kearney Lake finishing after sunset. I was nice =
to see and hear many hermit thrushes in the woods and then while walking on=
 Kearney Lake Road we saw 8 Common Nighthawks flying around. On the trail b=
etween the end of Saskatoon Drive and the end of Belle Drive we saw several=
/div><div><br>This email address is not checked for incomming mail.&nbsp=3B=
 If you need to send me a mail please send it to dmbluenoser AT hotmail<br>=

--_3418bd41-2df0-4675-98c5-ee141af10016_--