[NatureNS] Butterflies absent

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:01:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

James and all,

Apart from the Tiger Swallowtails that very much dominate the garden here at Round Hill, I would say it has been a bit on the quiet side this spring.  I am seeing some White Admirals and Question Marks (usually having little battles with the Swallowtails over prime perches at the top of the 20+ foot tall white lilacs where they are impossible to photograph).  They aso seem to be hanging around in the forest edges more than I might expect.  I have taken to bringing the camera with me whike working building footpaths as I encounter them when I least expect it.  The past couple of days there have been good numbers of Common Ringlets on the lawn.  Not too many skippers here yet though.  Night moths have been pretty bad with the exception of a couple of good nights - one in kate May, and the last week.  The other night, I did get a Luna and a Cecropia and a few nice smaller moths.  Last night, almost no moths, but a lone Cecropia did show up around midnight.
 I am guessing that all of this rain and cool temperatures does not agree with the leps.  By the way, one thing I am seeing lots of in my garden and the surrounding woods is Ebony Jewelwing damselflies.

bev wigney
Round Hill (in summer)