[NatureNS] fish ID help needed

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Randy,

I'm not much on fish but have photographed quite a few while doing stream surveys with Canadian Museum of Nature biologists (usually Brian Coad) in the Ottawa area around 2004-5.  This is a Creek Chub (Semotilus atromaculatus) photographed on one foray.
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/48549661/original
Brian Coad has a nice website on freshwater fishes of the National Capital Region.  Many fishes are common to the Atlantic region, so you might find the site useful.  This is the Carp and Minnow page.  Chubs are down toward the bottom.
http://www.briancoad.com/NCR/Cyprinidae.htm
In his notes to S. atromaculatus, he mentions it range includes Nova Scotia.

bev wigney
Round Hill, N.S. in summer