[NatureNS] Happy Canada day

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:39:41 -0300
From: Nicolaas Honig <nick.honig@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--90e6ba6e89d87c5deb04a703d38b

Marg,
If you find the hummingbird in need of more help there is Hope For Wildlife.
I can take it there for you.
Nick Honig, Halifax

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> What  a lovely day in White Point. The air is alive with song and there are
> still fresh young putting in appearances.
> Black and deer flies are both plentiful so if the breeze drops, bug jackets
> might come in handy. I fear it will be a horse fly summer as well.
>
> One swallow house is extremely busy, I see parent birds making very quick
> deliveries and coaxing  young to come to the opening. There should be a
> fledge from there soon. Usually July first they fly away but this year maybe
> later due to late settling in.
> Alas the other house, I fear, seems abandoned. There were peeps coming from
> it the other day but I haven't heard them later yesterday or today nor have
> I seen any comings and goings. So sad.  I won't get Steve to check in case
> there is some incubation of a late nest but I don't think so. One adult bird
> stopped coming awhile ago and even though the visitors appear from time to
> time to help out, I think it is lost. I hope I am wrong.
>
> On the other hand several places on the road to town and in town I see have
> swallow nests and lots of activity in light standards.
>

> I have a hummingbird that may have a band. It has something around one leg
> quite high up, seems to be favoring it a bit. I think I might try to get it
> to come to my hand and see what I can find. It might be a fine thread, some
> hair or bit of web, but if it can come off I might be able to help.....no I
> wouldn't take a band off, but if the bird is damaged by one (I had a one
> legged hummingbird bird one year) I'd be tempted.
> Best regards,
> Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

--90e6ba6e89d87c5deb04a703d38b

Marg,<br>If you find the hummingbird in need of more help there is Hope For=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Marg Millard <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca">mmillard@eastlink.ca=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">What =A0a lovely day in White Point. The ai=
r is alive with song and there are still fresh young putting in appearances=
.<br>

Black and deer flies are both plentiful so if the breeze drops, bug jackets=
 might come in handy. I fear it will be a horse fly summer as well.<br>
One swallow house is extremely busy, I see parent birds making very quick d=
eliveries and coaxing =A0young to come to the opening. There should be a fl=
edge from there soon. Usually July first they fly away but this year maybe =
later due to late settling in.<br>

Alas the other house, I fear, seems abandoned. There were peeps coming from=
 it the other day but I haven&#39;t heard them later yesterday or today nor=
 have I seen any comings and goings. So sad. =A0I won&#39;t get Steve to ch=
eck in case there is some incubation of a late nest but I don&#39;t think s=
o. One adult bird stopped coming awhile ago and even though the visitors ap=
pear from time to time to help out, I think it is lost. I hope I am wrong.<=
br>

On the other hand several places on the road to town and in town I see have=
 swallow nests and lots of activity in light standards.<br>
I have a hummingbird that may have a band. It has something around one leg =
quite high up, seems to be favoring it a bit. I think I might try to get it=
 to come to my hand and see what I can find. It might be a fine thread, som=
e hair or bit of web, but if it can come off I might be able to help.....no=
 I wouldn&#39;t take a band off, but if the bird is damaged by one (I had a=
 one legged hummingbird bird one year) I&#39;d be tempted.<br>

Best regards,<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens<br>

--90e6ba6e89d87c5deb04a703d38b--