[NatureNS] Shelburne Breeding Bird Route 037

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 03:48:07 +0000

--_0ac0721d-b5f7-42b9-bdd5-144dcee3cb49_

Hi all:
=20
I did the Shelburne Breeding Bird Route on June 30.  Dorothy Poole assisted=
 me as the driver.  Of note five species were added to the list for the are=
a.  They were yellow-bellied sapsucker=2C pileated woodpecker=2C scarlet ta=
nager=2C red crossbill and olive-sided flycatcher.
=20
The scarlet tanager was both heard and seen.  It was singing the morning so=
ng from the Sibleys download.  We were not aware that this species had a so=
ng that it specifically sings in the morning=2C so this was a nice educatio=
n and a treat for the route.  The co-ordinates for this bird were at stop 7=
 off the Jordan Falls Road at 20T 315953 4849410 NAD83. =20
=20
The pileated woodpecker was also a learning curve as a noise was heard that=
 I had not heard in all of my time in the woods and outdoors before.  I was=
 mystified until a pileated woodpecker came flying out.  It was a noise tha=
t does not appear on any playbacks that I've heard before. =20
=20
At a strawberry field 56 cedar waxwings were also not expected. =20
=20
There were few yellow warblers then would be expected.  Two only=2C so thos=
e numbers were way down from last year.  There also were fewer palm warbler=
s and only one black-throated blue warbler this year.  Hermit thrush were 3=
0 on the route=2C with about 40-45 seen overall=2C which is close to last y=
ears numbers.  I believe cliff swallow was new for the route also. =20
=20
Total species seen on the route=2C over 50 stops at 3 minutes apiece was 60=
.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_0ac0721d-b5f7-42b9-bdd5-144dcee3cb49_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>I did the Shelburne Breeding Bird Route on June 30.&nbsp=3B =
Dorothy Poole assisted me as the driver.&nbsp=3B Of note five species were =
added to the list for the area.&nbsp=3B They were yellow-bellied sapsucker=
=2C pileated woodpecker=2C scarlet tanager=2C red crossbill and olive-sided=
 flycatcher.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>The scarlet tanager was both heard and seen.&nbsp=3B It was =
singing the morning song from the Sibleys download.&nbsp=3B We were not awa=
re that this species had a song that it specifically sings in the morning=
=2C so this was a nice education and a treat for the route.&nbsp=3B The co-=
ordinates for this bird were at stop 7 off the Jordan Falls Road at 20T 315=
953 4849410 NAD83.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>The pileated woodpecker was also a learning curve as a noise=
 was heard&nbsp=3Bthat I had not heard in all of my time in the woods and o=
utdoors before.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI was mystified until a pileated woodpecker =
came flying out.&nbsp=3B It was a noise that does not appear on any playbac=
ks that I've heard before.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>At a strawberry field 56 cedar waxwings were also not expect=
ed.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>There were few yellow warblers then would be expected.&nbsp=
=3B Two only=2C so those numbers were way down from last year.&nbsp=3B Ther=
e also were fewer palm warblers and only one black-throated blue warbler th=
is year.&nbsp=3B Hermit thrush were 30 on the route=2C with about 40-45 see=
n overall=2C which is close to last years numbers.&nbsp=3B I believe cliff =
swallow was new for the route also.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Total species seen on the route=2C over 50 stops at 3 minute=
s apiece was 60.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bayport</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_0ac0721d-b5f7-42b9-bdd5-144dcee3cb49_--