[NatureNS] Odd Blue jay Death

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:08:41 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00151773d79c96604804a81c31d5

Songbirds (including Blue Jays) are also known as *perching birds*. They
have this moniker because as they alight on a branch and settle, their toes
curl around the branch without any muscular effort; this allows them to
sleep in this position and not fall off their branch.

If the Blue Jay died in its sleep, it would not necessarily fall, especially
if there was no wind buffeting it. I don't think this would last too long
though, if for no other reason than decay would eventually set in, causing
the release.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 15 July 2011 10:27, <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> My niece in Toronto came home to find a dead Blue jay on her deck but in a
> perched position but with its head hung forward. She sent it via Facebook. I
> have never seen anything like that where a bird has died but remained in a
> natural perched position. Any thoughts as to how it might have died and why
> it didn't fall over? There were no visible injuries that my niece could see
> anyway & none that I could see from the picture. She thought that maybe it
> could have run into something and just died while, sitting, waiting to
> recover.
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth

--00151773d79c96604804a81c31d5

Songbirds (including Blue Jays) are also known as <i>perching birds</i>. Th=
ey have this moniker because as they alight on a branch and settle, their t=
oes curl around the branch without any muscular effort; this allows them to=
 sleep in this position and not fall off their branch.<div>

fall, especially if there was no wind buffeting it. I don&#39;t think this =
would last too long though, if for no other reason than decay would eventua=
lly set in, causing the release.</div>

">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca<=
/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

My niece in Toronto came home to find a dead Blue jay on her deck but in a =
perched position but with its head hung forward. She sent it via Facebook. =
I have never seen anything like that where a bird has died but remained in =
a natural perched position. Any thoughts as to how it might have died and w=
hy it didn&#39;t fall over? There were no visible injuries that my niece co=
uld see anyway &amp; none that I could see from the picture. She thought th=
at maybe it could have run into something and just died while, sitting, wai=
ting to recover.<br>

Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>

--00151773d79c96604804a81c31d5--