[NatureNS] Odd Blue jay Death

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:16:40 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Gayle,

I'd say there are two things going on here. The first is that when a Blue Jay lands on a perch, the tendon at the back of its leg automatically tightens, locking its toes in a very strong grip on the perch. This is an involuntary reflex action. While the feet are locked in this manner the bird will remain on the perch, even while sleeping.

The second thing that is probably going on is the type of injury. I'd guess that the Blue Jay collided with a window or glass patio door at your niece's house. This probably resulted in internal bleeding/damage which gave the Blue Jay sufficient time to fly to the perch on which your niece discovered it. The fact that the locking mechanism I mention above was still holding the bird on its perch is unexpected but it had probably only recently died.

All the best,

Lance