[NatureNS] Common Snipe, Black billed Cuckoo, Common Moorhen

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:26:04 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01CC4883.ABCB12F0

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Found a Common Snipe foraging with a small flock of short billed dowitchers
by the grasses in Grand Desert.  The snipe stayed put while the dowitchers
got spooked and flew away.  A few returned.   Really good looks.  It would
have been an amazing photo of both species feeding side by side if I had a
camera...

A few days ago, a black billed cuckoo flew past me when I was in Wentworth.
I ruled out several possible birds like mourning dove and robin (no white
belly), blue jay (blue back), etc.  The cuckoo's back was green-grey.   Met
a birder who visits the Nappan-Amherst Point marsh (at the back of the bird
sanctury).  He informed me that he saw a common moorhen three weeks ago
adding that the biologists banded the bird.  It made me wonder why the
biologists do not report such birds to NatureNS??

Cheers
Liz

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01CC4883.ABCB12F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>DIV {
	MARGIN: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19088"></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Thursday, July 21, 2011</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Found a Common Snipe foraging with a =
small=20
flock of short billed dowitchers by the grasses in Grand Desert.&nbsp; =
The snipe=20
stayed put while the dowitchers got spooked and flew away.&nbsp; A few=20
returned.&nbsp;&nbsp; Really good looks.&nbsp; It would have been an =
amazing=20
photo of both species&nbsp;feeding side by side if I had a camera...=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">A few days ago, a black billed =
cuckoo flew=20
past me when I was in Wentworth.&nbsp; I ruled out several possible =
birds like=20
mourning dove and robin&nbsp;(no white belly),&nbsp;blue jay (blue =
back),=20
etc.&nbsp; The cuckoo's back was green-grey.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>Met=20
a&nbsp;birder who visits the Nappan-Amherst Point marsh (at the back of =
the bird=20
sanctury).&nbsp; He informed me that he saw a common moorhen three weeks =
ago=20
adding that&nbsp;the biologists banded the bird.&nbsp; It made me wonder =
why the=20
biologists do not report such birds to NatureNS?? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers</DIV>
<DIV>Liz&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01CC4883.ABCB12F0--