[NatureNS] Age of hemlock trees

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:08:49 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

ago .&amp;nbsp=3B Peter Hope=2C now reti
On 7/22/2011 10:14 AM, Mary Macaulay wrote:

> At 10:53 PM 02/02/2005, Peter Hope wrote:

> I'll answer your question based upon some study I did in the big hemlock
> grove on Hemlocks and Hardwoods trail in Kejimkujik a few years ago. I
> initiated having the trail built in 1976 and laid out the route. A couple of
> years ago it was in real need of resurfacing with gravel. We did a bunch of
> studies, then wrote self-interpreting signs. Since I retired the work has
> been done with a lengthy stretch of boardwalk to keep people on the path and
> protect the trees - the soil around their roots was eroded and their roots
> were in the early stages of being debarked and worn. The problem was nipped
> in the bud.

* see
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/2010/09/hemlock-looking-up-oil-on-canvas-5-x-7.html
- magnificent trees.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm