[NatureNS] Nesting turtles

From: Bob Farmer <farmerb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:04:58 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Painted turtles have a very different hatching biology than snapping
turtles.  Whereas snapping turtles emerge in the early fall, head to
the water and hibernate in the muck at the bottom of a pond, painted
turtle hatchlings spend the entire winter in the nest, and don't
emerge until the spring.  So any excavations could cause big problems
for a nest, and could do more harm than good.

When I did some field work at Point Pelee in 2005, a student studying
raccoon predation on snapper nests installed protective cages over
known sites; I think they did the same thing for nests of other
species, when they found them.  That approach seems to me to be the
"safest" approach if you want to help out, but these cages must be
able to withstand a raccoon attack.  A friend of mine showed that even
markers as small as a popsicle stick could attract predators (
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4498569 ).

However, you probably shouldn't be doing any of this.

While snapping turtles are listed as special concern under SARA and
are protected on federal lands; Nova Scotia hasn't made a similar
designation for provincial lands:
http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species/speciesDetails_e.cfm?sid=1033
I don't think there's any designation for eastern species of Painted
turtles, either recommended by COSEWIC or designated under SARA.

However, if I've read this correctly, section 51a of the Nova Scotia
Wildlife Act says that
"51 Except with a permit issued by the Minister, no person shall

(a) destroy, take, possess, buy or sell any egg of a bird or turtle or
disturb the nest of a bird or turtle
"
( http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/wildlife.htm )

Hope that helps.