[NatureNS] Not so swift?

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:32:52 -0300

f I get a chance.&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt; cheers&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt; ken&lt;

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Steve
For what it is worth, here is my take on the numbers. I was away from
mid-June this year till mid.-July thus you did not see any reports of
dwindling numbers of birds at the Temperance St. roost during this period.
Most years, the max. number at the roost is reached in early June . The
numbers decline sometimes down to 30-70 birds which I assume are
non-breeders. They then start to increase again in mid-July usually peaking
by the end of July and then the numbers taper off till the third week of
August when it is hard to find any.
I know Tree Swallows are out of the nest and flying by the first week of
July and I suspect the Chimney Swifts will have young flying by the second
week of July and some of these probably make their way back to the roost
before they head south. This likely is why there are increasing numbers this
time of year. Flycatchers, swallows and the like tend to be some of the
first to migrate south. This is my take, but I might be off base with this.
As Jim has pointed out in the past, we have found only a few nesting sites
so there is a lot to learn about Chimney Swifts.
cheers
Ken