[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island - ??Plover "remains"

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:48:39 -0300
From: BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000e0cd5742e467a4304a8f7835f

Hi Joyce,

I coordinate a conservation program for Piping Plovers in NS and I'd be very
interested in checking out your photos of the carcass.  You can email me at
nsplovers@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Sue Abbott
Bird Studies Canada

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Joyce Norris <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>wrote:

> I went on a South Shore trip this weekend and by the time I got to CSI late
> Saturday afternoon the fog and haze abated and I enjoyed a nice leisurely
> visit there
>
> Found something unusual as I was going back to the entry pathway on
> Daniel's Head Beach not far from the marked plover nesting area - a circular
> mass of feathers, attached at their origin along a "spine" ( not a
> verterbral column - I mean the main point where the base of the larger,
> outer feathers would join, as if covering a backbone). There were areas or
> pale brown and a bit of gray, but mostly white. There was no tissue, no
> bloody marks, no wings, nothing skeletal, nothing decomposing. Other than
> sand on it, it is literally pristine. Happened to have a clean ziploc bag
> with me and picked it up. It was up on the beach well away from the water
> and only a few feet in front of the dunes which run along the back of that
> part of beach where the plover nesting area is marked
>
> Should someone try to ID this to see if it was a plover as it was found
> near a marked area? I have pics of it that I can email. I certainly have
> nowhere near the knowledge of birds others here do but I have never come
> across anything like this before on a beach or anywhere else
>
> I am in Windsor and go to Hfx frequently, Valley and South Shore
> occasionally so I can easily take it somewhere
>
> I went to the sunken forest and ran into one of the locals and told him
> what I found and he mentioned a mink farm in the area (???) and he said he
> thought some had escaped and wondered if one might have gotten a plover. Who
> knows if one is related to the other? I have no idea. I am here to learn - I
> get to CSI maybe once a year so my knowledge is pretty limited.
>
> Thx
> Joyce

--000e0cd5742e467a4304a8f7835f

Hi Joyce,<br><br>I coordinate a conservation program for Piping Plovers in =
NS and I&#39;d be very interested in checking out your photos of the carcas=
s.=A0 You can email me at <a href=3D"mailto:nsplovers@gmail.com">nsplovers@=
gmail.com</a>.<br>
_quote">On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Joyce Norris <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">I went on a South Shore trip this weekend a=
nd by the time I got to CSI late Saturday afternoon the fog and haze abated=
 and I enjoyed a nice leisurely visit there<br>

Found something unusual as I was going back to the entry pathway on Daniel&=
#39;s Head Beach not far from the marked plover nesting area - a circular m=
ass of feathers, attached at their origin along a &quot;spine&quot; ( not a=
 verterbral column - I mean the main point where the base of the larger, ou=
ter feathers would join, as if covering a backbone). There were areas or pa=
le brown and a bit of gray, but mostly white. There was no tissue, no blood=
y marks, no wings, nothing skeletal, nothing decomposing. Other than sand o=
n it, it is literally pristine. Happened to have a clean ziploc bag with me=
 and picked it up. It was up on the beach well away from the water and only=
 a few feet in front of the dunes which run along the back of that part of =
beach where the plover nesting area is marked<br>

Should someone try to ID this to see if it was a plover as it was found nea=
r a marked area? I have pics of it that I can email. I certainly have nowhe=
re near the knowledge of birds others here do but I have never come across =
anything like this before on a beach or anywhere else<br>

I am in Windsor and go to Hfx frequently, Valley and South Shore occasional=
ly so I can easily take it somewhere<br>
I went to the sunken forest and ran into one of the locals and told him wha=
t I found and he mentioned a mink farm in the area (???) and he said he tho=
ught some had escaped and wondered if one might have gotten a plover. Who k=
nows if one is related to the other? I have no idea. I am here to learn - I=
 get to CSI maybe once a year so my knowledge is pretty limited.<br>

Thx<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Joyce <br>

--000e0cd5742e467a4304a8f7835f--