[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island - ??Plover "remains"

From: "Joyce Norris" <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:33:41 -0300

I went on a South Shore trip this weekend and by the time I got to CSI late
Saturday afternoon the fog and haze abated and I enjoyed a nice leisurely
visit there

Found something unusual as I was going back to the entry pathway on Daniel's
Head Beach not far from the marked plover nesting area - a circular mass of
feathers, attached at their origin along a "spine" ( not a verterbral
column - I mean the main point where the base of the larger, outer feathers
would join, as if covering a backbone). There were areas or pale brown and a
bit of gray, but mostly white. There was no tissue, no bloody marks, no
wings, nothing skeletal, nothing decomposing. Other than sand on it, it is
literally pristine. Happened to have a clean ziploc bag with me and picked
it up. It was up on the beach well away from the water and only a few feet
in front of the dunes which run along the back of that part of beach where
the plover nesting area is marked

Should someone try to ID this to see if it was a plover as it was found near
a marked area? I have pics of it that I can email. I certainly have nowhere
near the knowledge of birds others here do but I have never come across
anything like this before on a beach or anywhere else

I am in Windsor and go to Hfx frequently, Valley and South Shore
occasionally so I can easily take it somewhere

I went to the sunken forest and ran into one of the locals and told him what
I found and he mentioned a mink farm in the area (???) and he said he
thought some had escaped and wondered if one might have gotten a plover. Who
knows if one is related to the other? I have no idea. I am here to learn -
I get to CSI maybe once a year so my knowledge is pretty limited.

Thx
Joyce