[NatureNS] Mountain Lion in Connecticut

Cc: naturenb@listserv.unb.ca
From: Ulli <uhoeger@Dal.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:52:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

If you refer with your post to the recent discussion RE wolverines
and cougars here on NatureNS then the answer is that nobody said that
it is impossible that individuals could make it or made it to NS.

The issue was and still is that so far there has never been hard (or
even soft) evidence that this has happened in the past.

The critical difference between all reports from NS and the story
from down South is written down in the article you quoted -besides
the animal being on site.

" ......  the cat was definitively linked to four sites in the two
states (ed. Wisconsin and Connecticut) through genetic testing of
scat, blood and hair found in the snow during late 2009 and early 2010.
He also was captured on video by trail cameras."

The cat was very likely also seen by a number of people, but the
evidence in the quote above is hard proof, not only for the presence
of a mountain lion but for the presence of this particular individual.
With animals present in an area (NS and elsewhere) one can expect
that such hard evidence (i.e. proof) becomes available sooner or later.

However, if I go down the 103 one day and such a critter crosses the
road or walks along the curb I will still try my best NOT to produce
such hard evidence, even if that means just another not verifiable
eyewitness report.

Ulli

P.S. The reliability of eyewitness reports and testimonies is
questioned in the legal system, as they are easily manipulated.
Time, expectations and talking to other people (i.e. during police
interviews, looking field-marks up in a field guide) can and likely
will modify our memories of what we have seen without us even knowing
it.