[NatureNS] Mountain Lion in Connecticut

From: Ulli <uhoeger@dal.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:25:24 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1-623959054
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Not sure if you read every word of the part of my statement you
quoted below, espcl. the all important NOT ..

Here's one more time:

I DO NOT intentionally run over any animal with my car!!!
Even rats crossing Spring Garden Road are 100% save, as long as they
give me sufficient time to hit the brakes.

If a grizzly/pitbull/red dragon would be charging a group of
preschoolers/senior citizens/anybody I may take such action into
consideration.
Trophy hunting (using a car, gun, trap, fishing rod), i.e. producing
a carcass for the sole purpose of proving its prior existence, is OUT
OF QUESTION for me.

However, if that cougar would be taking a dump on the side of the
road, I would be on stand-by with a plastic bag or other suitable
container.

If your question was directed to my "I need verifiable evidence"
point of view, I guess it comes with the job.
Research it is not about what I believe, its about making statements
that can be verified and therefore accepted or dismissed.
Sure, there are things I work on because I believe in them, but at
the end of the day it is my job is to deliver the evidence that will
allow other folks to verify my findings.
That is, among other things, how science works!

Does this apply to my nature observations as well? Yes!
Do I report sightings that are not 100% verifiable? Yes, all the
time, but I will state this accordingly and leave it to the readers
judgement.
By providing as much supportive material as possible -in writing, as
photograph etc- I will make their job easier.
The result will is make it a record or an anecdote.
In many parts of the world this is standard procedure before
sightings and reports a accepted for official records.
A lot of reports accompanied with documentation are still not
accepted, not because the sightings were proven misidentifications or
the panel of judges did not want to believe the report, its because
the material provided in support of the report was just insufficient
to verify it.

Ulli

On 27-Jul-11, at 1:58 PM, V Redden wrote:

> Hi Ulli
> You said
>
> "However, if I go down the 103 one day and such a critter crosses
> the road or walks along the curb I will still try my best NOT to
> produce such hard evidence, even if that means just another not
> verifiable eyewitness report. "
>
> I am wondering why you have decided to take this approach.
>
> Virginia Redden
> Port Howe
> A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia

--Apple-Mail-1-623959054

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
quoted below, espcl. the all important NOT ..</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Here's one more =
NOT intentionally run over any animal with my car!!! =A0</div><div>Even =
rats crossing Spring Garden Road are 100% save, as long as they give me =
sufficient time to hit the brakes.=A0</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>If a grizzly/pitbull/red =
dragon would be charging a group of preschoolers/senior citizens/anybody =
I may take such action into consideration.=A0</div><div>Trophy hunting =
(using a car, gun, trap, fishing rod), i.e. producing a carcass for the =
sole purpose of proving its prior=A0existence, is OUT OF QUESTION for =
if that cougar would be taking a dump on the side of the road, I would =
be on stand-by with a plastic bag or other suitable =
your question was directed to my "I need=A0verifiable=A0evidence" point =
of view, I guess it comes with the job.=A0</div><div>Research it is not =
about what I believe, its about making statements that can be verified =
and therefore accepted or dismissed.</div><div>Sure, there are things I =
work on because I believe in them, but at the end of the day it is my =
job is to deliver the evidence that will allow other folks to verify my =
findings.</div><div>That is, among other things, how science =
 this apply to my nature observations as well? Yes!</div><div>Do I =
report sightings that are not 100%=A0verifiable? Yes, all the time, but =
I will state this accordingly and leave it to the readers judgement. =
=A0</div><div>By providing as much supportive material as possible -in =
writing, as photograph etc- I will make their job easier.</div><div>The =
result will is make it a record or an anecdote.=A0</div><div>In many =
parts of the world this is standard procedure before sightings and =
reports a accepted for official records.</div><div>A lot of reports =
accompanied with documentation are still not accepted, not because the =
sightings were proven misidentifications or the panel of judges did not =
want to believe the report, its because the material provided in support =
of the report was just insufficient to verify it.</div><div><br =
1:58 PM, V Redden wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">  <font =
down the 103 one day and such a critter crosses the road or walks along =
the curb I will still try my best NOT to produce such hard evidence, =
even if that means just another not verifiable eyewitness report. "<br> =
cols=3D"100">A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia</pre> <br> =

--Apple-Mail-1-623959054--