[NatureNS] Cougars and Ivory-billed woodpeckers

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:31:03 -0300

face=3D"Arial"&gt;You can't have it both ways.&amp;nbsp; You can't

--Boundary_(ID_9FTa63K1gKa4q8Fj5rchRA)

To:  Chris, Andy, et al.

From:  John Sollows

Date: July 28/11

This is a good discussion.  I agree, Andy, that "No evidence" has no meaning
as an argument.

I wish I could find a couple clippings my father kept from the April, 1988
Globe and Mail.  In the first one, a few inshore Newfoundland fishers were
expressing concern  that dragging operations on spawning grounds during
spawning season would have adverse effects on groundfish stocks.  A few days
later, the word came out (cannot remember whether it was from industry of
government) that there was "no evidence" that these operations would have
adverse effects on the stocks.

None of us will  know for sure why the stocks collapsed a few years later,
but uncontrolled, undisciplined fishing activities are pretty strongly
implicated as a cause, eh?

"No evidence" of a phenomenon or effect is too often used to pervert common
sense and attack the precautionary principle.  It can mean "No proof," "no
meaningful research done," "We don't know," or a lot of other things, but it
does nothing to disprove the phenomenon or effect.  When I hear the term, I
think "smoke screen."  When "No evidence" of a concern gets raised as a
challenge, the best response may be to challenge the other side to disprove
said concern.   If they cannot, then the concern is still valid.

It's very worrisome that those raising the concerns tend to be individuals
or community groups who usually don't have the resources nor the time that
proponents do.  Therefore, their concerns too often get ignored by
decision-makers.  "We told you so," five or twenty years later, doesn't
really cut it, when the costs get borne by one group and the benefits
enjoyed by another.

.  A wise proponent will consult with a community BEFORE proposing!